The development and rise of in-play markets means that live betting is now one of the most popular forms of wagering online, with an increasing number of bookmakers working hard to improve their offerings in this area. However, some of the best live betting sites are now available to those within Nigeria, perfect for those looking to add this form of wagering to their betting strategy. As a result of the number of markets and attractive odds, live betting has quickly become the most exciting form of wagering, with the following passage explaining everything there is to now about it.
Best Live Betting Sites in Nigeria 2018
What is Live Betting
Live betting, often known as in-play betting, is the process of wagering on a sporting event, while that event is being played out. Having initially been offered by betting exchanges, this form of betting is hugely exciting, with odds being constantly updated by the bookmaker depending on the current score line in the match or event. Sports such as football, tennis, basketball and ice hockey are among the most common when it comes to live betting markets, with betting on your favourite team or player to come from behind to win or consolidate their winning position tempting an increasing number of customers. However, customers in Nigeria are also able to place in-play bets on sports such as rugby, cricket, American football and horse racing. An example of a live bet can be explained by looking at a football match between English Premier League duo Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur. Tottenham take an early lead at Old Trafford, meaning that United’s odds to win the match have grown longer than pre-match. Customers can then, depending on the bookmaker, place match result, handicap or total goal bets, even though the match is taking place at the time.
Types of Live Bet
There are now a whole host of live bets available to customers, however this will of course vary from bookmaker to bookmaker, as well as between sports. The size of the betting platform is certain to have an impact upon the number of bets available, with a significant team required in order to operate live betting markets. As a result, those based in Nigeria wishing to take advantage of a large number of in-play options may well choose to register with one of Europe’s bigger bookmakers, rather than an inexperienced domestic platform. Although bets are certain to vary, here is just a taster of those available to customers in Nigeria.
• Traditional Bets – The same bets found in pre-match markets are also available when it comes to a large number of sports events, with only the odds having changed by the bookmaker as a result of what has happened so far. Such markets include match winner and total goals in football, as well as the number of sets in tennis. The odds available on such markets will depend on the current ongoings in the match, with teams who are behind in the score line likely to be offered at a high price for victory.
• Prop Bets – Such bets are especially popular in football markets, where backing a particular player to score the first goal or receive a red or yellow card are often available. Whether it be backing Cristiano Ronaldo to open the scoring for Real Madrid in the Champions League or Sergio Ramos to receive a yellow card in the same encounter, such wagers are hugely popular.
• Parlays – Some bookmakers will offer opportunities to turn single bets in parlays, meaning that customers can effectively add an additional bet onto their original wager, however this form of betting is normally only available on major betting platforms.
Live Betting Odds
As previously mentioned, the odds available within live betting markets will differ from bookmaker to bookmaker and sport to sport, however they are ultimately derived from factors including the pre-match price, current score, time remaining and other goings on during the encounter. An example of this could be if Chelsea are taking on Arsenal in the FA Cup, with the home side being offered odds of 1/3 to win in 90 minutes. Chelsea take the lead in the opening 20 minutes, meaning that the odds are to become even shorter, potentially priced at around 1/8 with the bookmakers. Bookmakers undoubtedly put a lot of time and effort into ensuring that their odds are as accurate and fair as possible, with any mistakes potentially costing them a great deal of money, meaning that customers often have to bide their time in order to find an attractive market. However, with odds changing in real-time by the second, it is little surprise that live betting is the most exciting form of wagering on major sporting events.
Benefits of Live Betting
There are undoubtedly both positive and negatives surrounding in-play markets, however the benefits tend to stand taller when it comes to live betting. For those who enjoy a fast-paced and constantly changing style, live betting is undoubtedly made for you. There is undoubtedly nothing better than having backed a team or player to come from behind to win and them coming out on top come the final whistle or last play. As well as this, bookmakers generally offer attractive prices on such markets, meaning that there are some significant earnings to be made.
Live Streaming Explained
Live streaming has only added yet another dimension to live betting. Whilst sports fans were previously only able to follow the action as it unfolds through live score features or through their television channels, many bookmakers now offer punters the opportunity to watch the action as it unfolds on their betting platforms. Whilst not available on all sportsbooks, an increasing number of platforms now offer this option, with sports such as football, tennis, basketball and horse racing regularly featuring. Customers in Nigeria now have the opportunity to watch action from all over the world through their online bookmaker, which only adds to the excitement of placing bets on such events. The majority of bookmakers will require customers to have a positive account balance or place a bet on the event in which they wish to watch in order to gain access, with streams being shown in high-quality and without delays. As well as this, bookmakers often cover sporting events that would otherwise go unseen, with commercial television channels not displaying such action. Whether it be action from some of European football’s biggest leagues or WTA and ATP tennis tour matches, for those bookmakers who do provide live streaming, you are rarely going to lack options in this area.
Live Betting Strategy
Whether you are placing pre-match or live bets, it is hugely important to come up with some form of strategy, which can be as detailed as you wish to make it. However, this is perhaps even more important when it comes to in-play markets, simply due to the nature of the markets offered by bookmakers. It is all too easy to simply look at a market, see some appealing odds and place a bet blindly. As a result, the following steps should be undertaken before any such wagers are placed:
• Begin with pre-game markets – The majority of successful live betting customers will have initially started their strategies by tackling pre-game markets. Doing so allows punters to gain a better understanding of markets, using their prior knowledge and research on certain sports in order to place successful wagers. Live betting is undoubtedly an excellent option for those looking to salvage bets that are potentially going to end up being successful, however this should only be an option for those who have gained experience of placing pre-game bets to start with.
• Know your limits – This is undoubtedly a factor that applies to all forms of betting, however it is perhaps especially important surrounding live betting markets. It is all too easy to get carried away by viewing the potential winnings on an in-play market that could still go either way. As a result, when placing in play bets, it is important to fully understand how the event is playing out before backing anyone. As well as this, it is suggested that customers should keep track of just how much they are spending on betting, as well as all current wagers, along with their level of success.
• Watch the game in full – Whether you are able to watch the match on television or through a live stream, or simply follow it through a live score feature, it is important to take in as much information surrounding the encounter as possible. Even the smallest detail can be the difference between winning and losing a bet, be it a red card in football or a tennis player struggling with injury.
FAQ Live Betting
What is live betting?
Live betting, also known as in play betting, is form of betting that is now offered by the majority of online betting platforms. It allows customers to place bets during an event, whereas they could previously only wager before it starts. This possibility opens up a whole new range of betting opportunities.
Is it legal to place live bets?
It is absolutely legal to place live bets, with the same Nigerian gambling laws as found in pre-match markets also applicable here. This means that punters can place bets at bookmakers who hold valid licenses at their will.
Where can I bet on live games?
The majority of online bookmakers now offer some form of live betting, however their range of in-play markets will often depend on their time within the industry and coverage in general.
Is it safe to bet online?
The bookmakers talked about on our site are 100% reliable, with company’s now going to great lengths in order to ensure that all transactions processed are secure.
Can I place live bets using my mobile?
Many betting platforms now make it easy to place bets using mobile devices, whether it be through a mobile-friendly website or a free to download betting app. In fact, such platforms are often more efficient than desktop sites, due to their speed and ease of use.
Which bookmaker is the best for live betting?
It is almost impossible to say which betting platform is the best for live betting, as this would be a matter of opinion. However, a number of bookmakers offer a great deal of markets and additional features in order to make live betting an attractive proposition for customers, with full review of bookmakers available on our site.