Best Betting Sites in Nigeria 2019
Betting on sports has long been a favourite pastime for many in Nigeria, however online bookmakers are now also growing in popularity, with a whole host of platforms now battling it out for the attention of new customers. Punters in Nigeria are able to utilise the services and features of both domestic and international bookmakers, making selecting a betting platform that is best for you a difficult process.
As a result, this guide has been created to provide readers with a detailed look at the different areas involved with sports betting, including markets, usability, mobile betting, live-streaming and customer support, among other factors. As well as this, our in-depth FAQ section will quickly answer some of the most commonly asked questions when it comes to placing bets online. Having read our guide, you will have a much clearer picture of the market, as well as the major players within it, allowing you to make key decisions regarding your individual sports betting strategies.
What Makes a Bookmaker Good?
With a large number of options for punters in Nigeria in terms of both domestic and international betting platforms, deciding which bookmaker is the best for you is no easy task. However, it is well worth keeping in mind the following factors that make a bookmaker stand out from the crowd when making a decision:
- Range of Markets – Despite football dominating proceedings with a large proportion of African bookmakers, a good betting platform is one which caters for fans of a wide range of sports, with disciplines including tennis, horse racing and basketball having become increasingly popular in Nigeria.
- Welcome Bonuses – For those looking to quickly make some significant earnings, a welcome bonus can certainly help. As a result, the majority of bookmakers will now offer some form of promotion in this area, whether it be a free bet, matched deposit or price boost. Spend your Naira wisely however, with such promotions still having to fit in with your betting strategy.
- User-Friendly Interface – Whether it be on a desktop or mobile device, the ability to quickly navigate between pages is hugely important, with nothing worse than a slow and inefficient betting platform. As a result, it is important to look at a bookmaker’s website before registering.
- Customer Services – Whether you are a beginner or an experienced punter in the world of online betting, it is important to sign-up with a bookmaker who offer a customer service feature that suits your needs. Whether it quickly responding to telephone calls or an increasingly popular live chat service, many bookmakers now put a large amount of work into this area of their operation.
- Competitive Odds – While a generous welcome offer is sometimes the first thing in which potential customers will look into surrounding a bookmaker, it is the odds that are more important in the long-run. Ensure that your favourite sports and markets come with appealing prices before registering.
What Makes a Bookmaker Bad?
There are also a number of factors that add up to make a poor betting platform, meaning that they are worth avoiding. The following are just some of the reasons as to why a bookmaker can be considered as bad:
- Limited Markets – The number of markets covered by a bookmaker will normally depend on their time in the market and size in comparison to their competitors, meaning that those covering only a small amount are unlikely to achieve much success. Many top bookmakers now cover over 20 different sports, with the depth of markets also becoming increasingly important.
- Small Number of Promotions – As previously stated, in the long-term, odds are far more important than promotions. However, those consistently placing bets will wish to feel like they are gaining something in return, with many bookmakers now offering promotions to existing customers, whether it be accumulator insurance, price boosts or free bets.
- Additional Features – Whether it be live streaming, cash out or live chat, bookmakers who fail to offer any additional features are already at a disadvantage, with more and more betting platforms offering customers a variety of extras.
Best Bookmakers for Customers in Nigeria
Having been founded in 2009, NairaBet have already made a significant impact in the marketplace, with their range of features ensuring that they continue to attract customers. Regulated by the Lagos State Lotteries Board, the bookmaker is now one of the biggest in Africa, with their range of promotions and good number of sports markets particularly appealing to potential punters. As well as this, NairaBet are one of the few African bookmakers to offer 24/7 customer service features.
As one of Africa’s newest online bookmakers, having been founded in 2013, MerryBet have achieved success as a result of their ongoing promotions and in-play opportunities. Despite not being one of the most visually pleasing betting platforms, the fact that they cover a vast number of markets means that they are worth considering for any new customer.
Bet9ja are an African bookmaker with a European feel, with their easy to use platform allowing for customers to easily navigate between markets, as well as place bets in just a matter of minutes. The bookmaker provides customers with vast amounts of useful statistics and information surrounding sports teams and players, while they offer a loyalty scheme for customers, in which free bets can be earned.
Customers in Nigeria can also take advantage of a host of bookmakers from outside Africa, with 888Sport being one of the most popular. Their platform stands out from the crowd as a result of their wide range of markets and competitive odds, while 888Sport is also a fantastic option for mobile customers as a result of their excellent app.
As well as offering one of the most attractive betting platforms around, Betway also perform well in other areas, with their range of promotions, as well as their live streaming capabilities, meaning that they are a bookmaker worth considering for anyone, no matter what your sporting preferences are.
Betfair are undoubtedly one of the biggest names in the world of online betting, with the Gibraltar-based bookmaker now available to those based in Nigeria. Along with their generous welcome offer, Betfair are known as one of the most reliable and secure platforms around, while their competitive odds also mean that some fantastic winnings can be made.
Criteria for a Top Nigerian Betting Sites 2019
Betting Markets Offered & Odds
Having registered with a bookmaker, kick-starting your sports betting strategies can often be the most difficult part of the process. As a result, it is important to stick to markets in which you are familiar with, regardless if other options come with better prices. Football is undoubtedly the biggest market in Nigeria, meaning that any bookmaker worth its weight will put a lot of effort into ensuring that they cover a wide variety of matches.
Usability & Handling of the Website
While not being one of the most important aspects, the usability of a website or mobile app is certainly worth considering. The best bookmakers will make it quick and easy for customers to move between markets, with many also ensuring that bets can be placed in just a matter of seconds after logging in.
More and more customers in Nigeria are placing bets using their mobile devices, meaning that bookmakers are having to put more effort into ensuring that their platforms are mobile-friendly.
Whether it be through developing a mobile app or ensuring that their website works effectively on such devices, this is now a hugely important factor for many customers.
Live Betting & Streaming
Live betting is now a hugely popular form of wagering, with the ever-changing aspect of sports encounters meaning that odds are also constantly updated. Whether it be the ability to back your favourite football team to score a late winner or a tennis player to win a deciding set, many of the best bookmakers will offer a large number of in-play markets.
As well as this, a number of bookmakers now provide the opportunity for customers to simultaneously bet upon and watch live sports action as it unfolds, with live streams from around the world available on their betting platforms.
Promotions & Bonus Offers
Every betting firm online today is looking to add to their customer base, with promotions and welcome bonuses often seen as the most effective way of doing so. With such offers being advertised through a variety of means, they are often the first thing you will notice about an individual bookmaker.
Whether it be a 100% matched deposit up to N5,000,000 or a price boost on opening bets, there are a number of terms and conditions that will come with such promotions. As a result, it is important to think carefully before registering, questioning whether you can actually make the most out of the deal. It is now very rare to find a bookmaker that does not offer some form of incentive, however there are a few which focus upon attracting customers simply by their excellent odds.
Customer Service & Support
Whether you are registered with a Nigerian or international bookmaker, it is important to ensure that you are able to easily make contact with customer support agents, even if this is not on a 24/7 basis. Telephone, email and live chat are all now common features, while many bookmakers reply to customers via their social media pages too. It is worth baring in mind as to whether such features are offered free of charge however, as well as the time taken to respond by the bookmaker.
Is online sports betting legal in Nigeria?
Despite previous laws having prohibited betting on sports, chapter 22 of the criminal code now means that such a form of gambling is completely legal. However, this wagering must take place on an authorised platform, which holds a full gambling license.
How long will it take to open an account?
New accounts can be opened within just a matter of minutes, with many bookmakers now requiring just a small amount of information in order to do so.
What are the advantages to betting online?
Betting online means that customers can gain access to all markets in one place, as well as taking advantage of a variety of additional features.
Can you bet sports on your mobile devices?
Many bookmakers cater for mobile customers now, whether it be through apps or mobile-friendly websites. Such platforms mean that there is no reason to miss out on a potentially lucrative bet.
Should bonuses/promotions affect my decision when choosing a sportsbook?
It is easy to be attracted to a particular bookmaker because of a generous welcome bonus, however this should not form the entire basis of your decision. The odds available on a consistent basis are likely to be more important, as this will help to bring about greater earnings on a more regular basis.
What’s the smallest bet I can make?
Minimum bets will depend on the bookmaker chosen by the customer, with many Nigerian platforms starting at around N100.
Why to Trust Our Rankings
Having read all of this information regarding sports betting in Nigeria, you may be wondering as to just why you should trust our opinions. However, it is important to remember that we have a vast amount of experience within the industry, as well as a great level of knowledge in terms of the services and features offered by bookmakers.