FA Cup Fourth Round review

John Obi Mikel - Vlad1988 / Shutterstock.com

Teams from around England’s Football Association (FA) played in fourth round matches this weekend. A few lower league teams were looking to surprise the Premiership big guns. Several talented Nigerian players and those of Nigerian descent looked to show off their skills.

In one of the two matches played on Friday evening, Arsenal welcomed Manchester United at the Emirates. This was the most exciting match-up of this stage of the competition. Alex Iwobi started for the Gunners on the left.

Arsenal was the better team in the first 30 minutes, but then Manchester United scored two quick goals. Alexis Sanchez scored first in the 31st minute while Jesse Lingard added the second in the 33rd minute. The home team still pulled a goal back before the break with Pierre-Emerick Aubemayang the scorer.

The Gunners attacked the goal in the second half, but they couldn’t break the Red Devils defence. Close to the final whistle, Anthony Martial scored the third and winning goal for the visitors. United register their 8th win under Solskjaer and are through to the next round of the FA Cup.

Brighton didn’t impress the fans at the Amex Stadium after a goalless draw with the Championship team West Bromwich Albion. The Seagulls blew their home court advantage and will have to go to West Brom for a replay. Leon Balogun wasn’t in this squad for this match.

John Obi Mikel - Vlad1988 / Shutterstock.com

John Obi Mikel – Vlad1988 / Shutterstock.com

Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel made his debut for the Championship side Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium. They welcomed the League two team, Newport. Daniel Ayala scored in the 51st minute to give Boro the lead, who were confident of a win at that point.

However, the visitors shocked the home crowd in the third minute of stoppage time. Matthew Dolan, who only subbed in three minutes before the end, scored the goal for Newport forcing a replay.

In the only Premiership encounter of the day, Newcastle welcomed Watford at St James’ Stadium. Isaac Success Ajayi was in the starting line-up for the visitors. After a goalless first half of the game, it was the Hornets who scored after the restart. Andre Grey was the scorer after a good shot. The Magpies didn’t manage a comeback as Success confirmed the win for Watford in the 90th minute.

Everton travelled south to take on the Championship strugglers Millwall. It turned out to be an eventful game, on and off the pitch.  Ademola Lookman started the match for the Toffees.

The first half saw two goals scored in quick succession. Richarlison gave Everton the lead in the 43rd minute which lasted only a few minutes. Lee Gregory netted the equalizer for Millwall just before the break, in stoppage time.

The Toffees took the lead again in the 72nd minute through Cenk Tosun but once again the lead lasted three minutes. Jake Cooper levelled the score in the 75th minute. And then, in the fourth minute of stoppage time, Murray Wallace scored the winner for Millwall. The Lions are through to the next round in one of the surprising results of the afternoon.

Leave a Reply